You can only see what is in these blind spots by moving your head and quickly looking over your shoulder – this is called a head check.
Always remember to follow these 5 tips while driving:
- See far and wide (scanning) – See wider and farther and actively taking in the scenario and continually filtering for possible hazards.
- Anticipate – read the movement of other road users around and anticipate their next actions. Take note of their speed, direction, way of driving, and distance from you.
- Control and adjust your Speed – Slow down and cover the brake pedal, this reduces your reaction time.
- Be aware of yourself – Your physical and mental condition affects your driving. If you are ill or sleepy, your reactions will be slower.
- Stay calm – Being calm helps you stay in control of yourself. This way you are able to adjust to changing situations and not become a hazard to yourself or to others.