EDI’s driving course for people with special needs uses specially adapted vehicles with hand controls for people with waist downwards disability.
Please find below the procedure involved in learning to drive with an adapted vehicle for people with special needs at Emirates Driving Institute.
1. You will need to get your medical report from Rashid Hospital Dubai (The Physical, Medicine and Rehabilitation Department: PMR). To get this report please contact the reception of PMR Department at Rashid Hospital. Appointments have to be taken in advance as the assessment takes place only once a week, mostly on a Tuesday.
After the assessment is done you will be issued the medical report.
2. To get RTA’s approval letter you will need to send us your medical report and we will get the RTA’s approval for you and will contact you to come & register with EDI with other documents.
Following documents are required for registration
• Original medical report from Rashid Hospital
• RTA approval document (only if it is done by you directly, else we will be having it)
• NOC from sponsor
• 2 passport copies
• Emirates ID card and copy
• 2 passport size photographs
• Original computerized card license (only if you are a holder of a driving license from your country) and copy
On receipt of the above, the student will be registered for driving classes and tests to obtain the UAE driving license. EDI will also open the Traffic file & RTA Learners Permit will be issued. The driving course for people with special needs is very much like the regular car driving course; the only difference is that the training and tests are given in the adapted vehicle. Our training fee is AED 65 per class and each class is of 30 minutes duration. Other fees such as admission fee, tests fee, license fee etc. is the same as regular car driving course.
Please note that all students have to bring their Registration Card (MDT), RTA Training Book and Learning Permit for the lectures attendance.
Mr. Musad Ali is handling the queries for this course and he could be contacted at Emirates Driving Institute on Tel. No. 00971 4 263 11 00 Ext. 144.
Training Fees - LMV
|20 hours training
|2400 (M) / 2600 (A)||3800||4200||13200|
|15 hours training
|1800 (M) / 1950 (A)||2850||3150||9900|
|10 hours training
|1200 (M) /1300 (A)||1900||2100||6600|
|Other Charges||(In AED)|
|EDI Admission Fees||575||575|
|RTA File opening, learning permit & RTA Book||510||510|
|RTA Theory test/signal test||310||460|
|Pre-evaluation test (only for 15 & 10 hours training)||100||100|
|Simulator Class (only for 20 hours training)||100||100|
|Transportation Charges (Dubai / Sharjah & Ajman||Free|
|Transportation Charges ( Friday)||Free|
|Transportation Charges (VIP)||Free|
|Nursery ( per hour)||10|
|International License Issue||200|
|Female student who wish to have learning permit with male instructor||20|
|Additional Class fee for LMV ( Regular)||M-60, A-65|
|Course change fee||120|
|Training extension service fees ( upon road test fail)||150|
|Exam additional preparation fees (upon theory test fail)||50|
|File transfer charge||110|
Per Class Fees
|Course Type||Per class fee|
|Regular (weekdays including Saturday)||60||65|
|Weekend (Friday only)||95||95|
|Friday & Saturday||95||95|
|Shift Duty (any day except Friday)||105||105|
|VIP ( any day except Friday)||330(Manual & Automatic )|
|Class duration||30 minutes|
New Driver Sticker (optional to buy) is available at EDI for AED 5 and Magnetic New Driver sign is available for AED 10.
Emirates Driving Institute provides specially adapted vehicles with hand controls for training. The training location for this course is Al Qusais only.
Training Course options are :
2 Days every week
(2 hours of training) - Saturday & Tuesday / Sunday & Wednesday / Monday & Thursday
OR 3 Days every week
(21 hour of training)
Sat - Mon - Wed or Sun - Tue - Thurs
Shift Duty Course
Students can choose to take their training as per their choice during training hours by coordinating with their instructor or by calling their respective training locations in the following way
• 4 hours of training
• 6 hours of training
• 8 hours of training
Students can take their training only on Friday (2 hours of training)
Timings are : 7.30am , 9.40am, 2.00pm
Students can take their training on any day except Friday at any time as per their preference. They are eligible for 4 hours of training. Students registered for 20 hours training are eligible for up to 2 hours training in a day, up to 12 hours training every week. Students registered for 15 or 10 hours training are eligible for up to 18 hours every week. VIP course training classes can be taken from EDI Head Office in Qusais or any of its branches.
• The training timings are from 08:30am to 05:30pm with a break from 2:30pm to 3:30pm
• Training classes on Friday are from 07:30am to 11:40am and 2:00pm to 4:00pm with breaks in between the classes
• VIP students start at 8:30am and their classes can be scheduled as per their preferences.
• All vehicles are provided by the institute
Training Rules & Regulations:
1. Please always carry your RTA learners’ permit, MDT card and RTA handbook while attending the practical training, lectures and tests.
2. You are requested to report for all your practical training classes on time. You’ll be marked as “ABSENT,” should you fail to report within 10 minutes of your class starting time. Once marked “absent,” you’ll have to take the compensatory class by paying for that particular class.
3. If you wish to temporary stop your training, you must inform your course in-charge 24 hours before your scheduled training time. If you fail to do so, you’ll be marked as absent for that day.
4. In case you’re instructor is absent, we will try to arrange some other instructor for that particular class. Should we fail to provide another instructor, we will extend your training accordingly.
5. You must use the MDT card for timely login & logout of your training. Please insert the training card in your training vehicle as soon as your training begins and take it out once the training is over.
VIP course students have the advantage of taking lectures as per their convenience and time. Our VIP course in-charge helps in organising lectures in special lecture hall as preferred by the VIP student.
All students who register for 20 /15 /10 hour sessions (40/30/20 classes) of car driving license course need to take 8 compulsory lectures. These lectures are conducted on weekdays as well as Fridays. Lectures are offered in different languages such as English, Hindi/Urdu and Arabic at different locations - EDI Head Office (Al Qusais), Al Quoz, Port Rashid and Al Aweer.
Please note that it is mandatory for all students to bring their Registration Card (MDT), RTA Training Book and Learning Permit for the lectures.
• Lecture 1 : Attitude and Responsibilities
• Lecture 2 : Traffic signs
• Lecture 3 : Managing Risks
• Lecture 4 : Driver Condition
• Lecture 5 : Driving Environment
• Lecture 6 : Rules of Road
• Lecture 7 : Hazard and Emergencies
• Lecture 8: Safety Demonstration
Rules of Attendance
• Please ensure you have attended all 8 lectures before you book your theory test, practical driving classes
Joining Instructions with Terms and Conditions – click here to download
EDI Trainee Rights & Responsibilities – click here to download
EDI lecture schedule - click here to download
Now you can also take lecture 1, 2, 3 & 4 via E-lectures (online lecture). Click here to see the user guide.
RTA's Remote Interpretation System (RIS)
The service provides remote instant interpretation of driving theoretical tests, conducted by RTA, to driver license applicants in different languages.
The step is part of RTA's endeavours to enrich the Smart City initiative and realise its third strategic goal - People's Happiness
How RIS service can be availed?
As per RTA guidelines, students have to submit an application for appointing an interpreter in the preferred language at the time of opening RTA file and pay the applicable fees.
This service cannot be added at a later stage while booking the Road Test.
An additional fee of AED 400/- will be charged for availing this service apart from the regular exam fee of AED 310/-.
Apart from RIS service, RTA also provides voiceover facility with no extra cost for eight more languages i.e. Urdu, Bangla, Chinese, Farsi, Hindi, Malayalam, Russian and Tamil.
• Obtain your RTA learners permit prior to your first driving lesson and carry it with you throughout the training period. Renew the permit once it expires.
• Attend your first and all subsequent driving classes and tests with necessary lenses/ glasses.
• Not be absent from classes without informing the concerned reception staff 48 hours before the class time or you will be charged for the classes.
• Make proper payments for training and tests on time to avoid unnecessary problems/delays.
Name of the test
Parking Test (5 internal tests)